Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My first Thai course at AAA language school

So it is over, my first 20 hours of learning Thai at AAA Language school. The school is approved by the government in 2004. It costs 7,450 Baht for a 60 hours course in groups, but I took private lessons. The reason was that I wanted to focus on learning and not getting distracted (or pushed or slowed down) by others. I was also expecting more flexibility.

What I liked:
The tuition fee is reasonable, compared with other school. No complain about this. Included is a book and a CD. The location is also very convenient just 5 minutes walk from the BTS Chitlom. My teacher was very friendly and helpful, so was the overall experience with the staff.

What I did not like:
The school sticks with a certain system, that is pretty old. My biggest complain is that they don't refer to English. So the teacher wants you to figure out what the word means. I can understand that they might do this because of students from different nationalities, but for me it was a waste of time. I am not sure if they ever changed the books since they opened. One of the first words I learned was rubber eraser and ruler. Not sure if this is up to date.

Since I have some knowledge, in particular with vocabulary, from my time in Laos, I was hoping to learn Thai by speaking and reading/writing. But they stick with phonetic language, and that is quite an outdated system (although it might be helpful as a addition).

So, yes, I learned something, but not as much as I expected. A bit strange was the moment when I was leaving: Neither the teacher nor the receptionist/sales women even tried to sell me another course or asked about my experience. So it seems they just don't need more customers.

Now, I will try to go back to books and learn more reading and writing, and extend my vocabulary. And of course I need to practise.

No comments:

Post a Comment